Saturday, June 25, 2011

Week 1 - 06/25/2011

Dear family,
So a lot has happened, I guess. I got called as the district leader. Yeah… I get to be patrol leader. Even after like less than two days on the job I can’t help but wonder why anyone would aspire to do this. Oh well, I will do what is asked of me. So, kinds of along with that, I kind of messed up already. Elder Bednar was going to speak yesterday (Friday) and there was some confusion on when it was and someone thought it was at 6pm. I just went with that , but it didn’t seem right to me for whatever reason. Then we left studying at 5pm. Turns out it started at 4:30pm. So we missed most of it and I feel like it was my fault. Also Spanish is kind of hard. I am maybe expecting too much of myself. I have a hard time with the pronunciation. At 7pm that day, we met with our mission president, President Reeves and Sister Reeves. They are amazing, he is a little awkward huggy, but hey… he is a really nice guy. He talked to us for awhile, and calmed me quite a bit about learning Spanish. They also bought us candy from the bookstore. I really look forward to him being my mission president. His wife knows less Spanish than all of us so she is somewhat in the same boat. Oh how I wish I had paid more attention in Spanish class. There are two other Elders going to Puebla. One is heading out in three weeks, the other is with me and Elder Petersen. So after being here I realized how much a mission is like scout camp.
Scout camp/MTC is a place where you go to learn. The scouts/missionaries are divided into troops/branches and the patrols/districts. You have your senior patrol/zone leader and the patrol/district leader. The patrol/district leader gets to observe and try to correct all sorts of scouts/missionaries. There is a scout/Elder who stays up too later or gets out of bed to late. There is a scout/Elder that tends to forget about the buddy/companion system and wanders off. There is the scout/Elder who sleeps in class. There is the Elder/scout that secretly wants to be the patrol/district leader and attempts to fill that leadership position in subtle ways. And then there is the patrol/district leader that observes this and just wonders how funny it is that the same personality traits can be found not only in worlds apart, but they are found in both 12-13 year olds and 19-20 year olds. Some things never change. OK… that’s all it guess. Have a great day.
Love, Elder Wigington

Home Sweet Home for 2 Month

Only Curtis!
Provo LDS Temple

1 comment:

  1. I love your correlation of missions vs. Scouts. I never thought if it that way before but it makes so much sense. The funny thing is that while you are amazed that there seems to be little difference between 12-13 year olds and 19-20 year olds. Often times there is not much difference between them and 37-38 year olds....just ask my wife. The photos this week take me back to my days in the MTC. I think I could pull the exact same photos out of my album. Doesn't look like anything has changed since I was there in 1992!

    ReplyDelete