Monday, September 17, 2012

Week 64 - 9/17/2012


Well it was 9/11 and didn’t hear anything about the anniversary.  I actually didn’t notice it was the 11th until I wrote in my journal that night. 
Ok so we had zone training on Tuesday.  So we spent all morning training and then we went to eat.  Then we went and contacted a little bit. We found this kid, like 15 years old and he invited us to his catholic missionary preparation class. Then this other guy let us in. We taught him a little about families and it went well. Then we went to Hectors house and he wanted us to dedicate it.  And he asked me say the prayer cause well,… you know,… “more powerful coming from an American...” haha.
Ok Wednesday.  So we had a meeting with our new ward mission leader.  He is excited to work.  He talks endless about his mission and all the great things he accomplished. I suppose it’s a good thing he is our ward mission leader right??  OHHH. Something awesome happened or at least I hope it’s true.  I think google maps in taking pictures of the streets here in Tehucan and one of the camera cars passed by when I was at the corner of 7 norte 2 oriente.  So if it was actually taking picture in got one of me there. haha.  I hope so, I can prove I’m actually working out here.  Ok then we went with this guy named Jonathan.  He is 24-25 years old and has some form of learning disability. We taught Jonathan alone and we just go super slow. He actually understands everything very well... we just have to go very, very slow.  
Thursday.  Long morning... weekly planning... that was the one thing good about being junior companion... if your comp did want to do it well,.. it didn’t happen.  But now I would feel bad if I don’t.... so... yeah... long morning.  We taught Jonathan again.  Went well.  So then we had an appointment in the church.  Well we actually had two:  one at 6 and the other at 6:30.  The lady at 6 randomly stopped us in the street and asked us some questions about marriage.  There was a member referral at 6:30.  Well we got there right at six and were waiting around.  Then one of the sisters saw us and told us a investigator came.  Turns out the lady did end up coming so we had to teach her super-fast so we could teach the other referral.  Then we had to teach the referral super-fast so we could run all the way across our area to this youth group class. We got there and went with the kid we contacted.  He was with a group of one adult, and l5 youth.  The oldest i think was 17-18.  Anyways… they asked us how our church was founded.  So with great power and authority we explained that as it teaches us in the scriptures, the church of Christ must be founded by him and as such carry his name, and that is why the church is named the way it is.  As Christ taught in the bible, that his church had prophets and apostles and thus his true church should have the same.  Then we explained how we believe that the church of Christ fell for a number of reasons and that is was necessary for God to call a new prophet to restore that which was lost.  Quite powerful I would have to say.  Then they were like “ohhhh....” and the adult said “we believe that our church is the only true church, actually, the only church, because others can’t even call themselves churches, blah, blah,….” We were like that’s nice...  Then they asked us, “why are you even here?” Do you want to convert or something?...” And we were like no.......... they just invited us... So then they started asking us other questions. We said, “we actually came here to listen to your message.” They were like ummm.......  actually we are just going to practice our dance.  We awkwardly watched them do their dance for like 5minutes when we said ok we have to go now, thanks for inviting us.”  I think it was too much intimidation to have two Mormon missionaries there. haha.  Their teacher did want to teach,… weird considering it was a class on how to be missionaries... Gotta love it. 
Friday.  Busy day. Lots of appointments in the morning.  I love it when we go to the appointments where it’s my first time being there and they are like, “wow!.. this white guy speaks good Spanish.”  We taught some lessons in the morning.  We taught some other guy after the food, Ismaiel or something like that.  He is really awesome. He was really open about everything and said well if it’s true God will tell me. We will see what happens haha.  Yeah so we went with Hector and wow was he confused.  The bishops counselors are a little confused on a lot of things and told him that he already had the priesthood and was going to be called as young mens superviser and was going to give the class on Sunday.  We actually talked to bishop about it and he said that those were just ideas he had and the counselors should not have said all that.  But we explained everything and that he did not have the priesthood yet blah, blah, all in order haha.  
Saturday. Mexican Day! Bad day for missionaries.  We really did not have much to do.  In the morning everyone is getting ready for the parties and at night everyone is partying. Soooooo we didn’t have much to do.  We taught Jonathan and he prayed and said he felt like he should be baptized on the 29th.  So that’s cool!  Then at night we ate some good tacos.
Sunday.  Well, with the night before being party night like 30 people showed up to church.  I had to bless the sacrament and guess what I did.  I knelt down. Open the microphone thing.  The same as it is in our church back home.  And without even thinking about it I said. Oh, God.... shooot..... Oh, Dios...  I didn’t say shoot, but it just came out so natural without even thinking about it, I think that was the first time I blessed the sacrament in Mexico.  
Monday we went on a little hike up to this cross that is in our area.  but really far away.  We brought 2 youth from the ward, and Fancel, the kid who was baptized and his brother.  And another guy that is a recent covert that is like 22-23.  So we went up and it was pretty hard. We saw these huge spiders and there were millions!  Probably the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life.  And we had to walk under them.  We actually felt the web and it was super strong like string.  We climbed the cross.  Let me tell you climbing that cross was scary. And more than anything, crossing over on to the out parts was really freaky. The way down was interesting.  It was pretty steep, so i was helping Fancel a lot. One time I was helping him down a pretty steep part and I slipped an grabbed some rock and cut my had open.  Ouch....  But yeah we got back and then just felt super dead and now I’m here and that’s all.
Ok so that was my week.  Good week we found a lot more people to teach.  Good stuff.   
Oh yeah so I gave Fancel and Alan a dollar each and their dad said, “wow… you have to keep that dollar safe cause that will bring you riches in the future.” Then in church they came up to me, “hey that lucky dollar works I brought it with me to the slot machine (there are these little gambling machines and slot machine is the closest translation I can think of) and all my friends lost money, but we each won 30 peso, but we didn’t use that dollar!” Haha. The magic American dollar....

No comments:

Post a Comment