Monday, November 26, 2012

Week 72 - 11/12/12


Obama, well, at least I have the privilege of not being in the same country as him for another 8 months...
Well we had a zone conference.  We were talking about some of the standards of the mission and the rules that we can complete better.  And then one of the sister missionaries complained about how when we get together as missionaries the Americans always talk in English and that’s rude...  hmm... so then it turned in to a heated battle.  Who knew that that would be such a touchy topic.  One of the American elders brought up the point that it’s a good opportunity for the Mexicans to listen and understand and learn English.  Then the Mexican zone leader said sometimes I do try to listen and then only understand a little so I get bored and leave.  Duhhhhhh, that’s how you learn, I learned by being bored trying to understand.  Even now that I speak good Spanish it feels good to speak English when I have a chance.  Anyways we stayed on that topic for like 30 minutes.  I actually didn’t have much to say, I just took out my popcorn and enjoyed the show, sadly I didn’t really have popcorn.

Wednesday.  Well we put a baptismal date with one of the investigators of the Tehuacan ward.  He needs to work on the word of wisdom, but I think we will be able to do it.  He is down to one cigarette a day. 
Thursday.  Really slow day.  Most of our appointments fell through.  We had just one lesson.  As much as I don’t enjoy contacting, it is a good fall back when things fall through; right now it’s sometimes hard to find things to do.

Friday.  So we had a lesson with a sister. She gave us scarfs.  Very nice lady.   Then in the night, we stopped by the bishop’s house because there were some things that we needed him to help us with.  When we showed up it was his daughter’s birthday!  yay, I think the spirit guided me to go there, mmm, cake. Haha. 
Saturday.  Surprisingly good day for how slow the past few days were. We had a good lesson with the investigator that is trying to quit smoking.  Then we went to the bishops house to eat.  Then part of the new program is that we are going to teach the active members the first lesson and invite them to invite a friend to hear it.  So we taught them and practiced with them how to invite a friend.  Haha so awkward.  Then a friend came over while we were there and they all wimped out... haha we had to introduce ourselves.  But it was good.  Then... at night we went with a member from a different ward to a referral they had for us.  It was a family that had recently lost an 11 year old daughter.  I’m not 100 percent sure if I heard right, but she was playing on a basketball court that was under an overpass and  a drunk driver fell off the over pass and the car landed on the girl.  Really sad story and probably one of the most tense lessons I have ever had.  Probably the hardest part was the member we were with didn’t know what to say, and my companion is new so he didn’t really know what to say, so I had to fly solo.  But I feel like I had all the right words to say, they looked much better after the lesson.  We taught a simple version of the plan of salvation.  I can image how awful that would be.  It was interesting, I was reading my journal from last year and there was a part where I was expressing frustration that we were teaching a mom who broke down to tears in the lesson.  I expressed frustration that I wasn’t able to express myself to say anything, and even if could speak well I wouldn’t have known what to say.  And now after this lesson it’s interesting to see how much I have progressed. 
Sunday.  Ugh... 7 hours of church nooooooo.  The first 3 hours of Tehuacan then 1 hour of ward counsel and then 3 hours of Observatorio.  The worst part was the classes were repeats. 
Monday.  Well we went to Sam Club.  Got my 5 kilos of pancake mix.  MMMM.  Then we went to the peƱafiel factory.  They gave us a tour.  They didn’t let us take pictures.  But there was a staircase we took and the guide took the elevator so we quickly snapped a few pictures.  They had picture on the wall of the American line of products that they produce here.  They asked me if I knew them.  I only had heard of half of them.
Tomorrow we have training in Puebla that starts at 10 so I have to be leaving Tehuacan at 7 in the morning.  I think it’s going to be very long.   

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment